Post Harvest Claim Commonly Asked Questions

Post Harvest Claim
Commonly Asked Questions

Post Harvest Claim Commonly Asked Questions

Do I have to complete a Harvested Production Report (HPR) before registering a claim?

Yes, in all cases your HPR must be submitted before MASC will adjust a claim. The final date to file your HPR and register a claim without penalty is November 30 (except for for Select Hay, Basic Hay and Greenfeed Insurance, which is October 1). The field-by-field yield you report is used to apportion the net harvested yield.

What payment options does MASC provide?

Depending on the estimated value of the claim, MASC may offer you an Advance Payment. An Advance Payment pays you a portion of the estimated claim value prior to the claim being adjusted. The insurance specialist will ask you questions pertaining to the claim and, with your consent, provide you with a payment within five to 10 days. Once adjusted, the balance of the value of the claim will be paid. There is no cost to accepting an Advance Payment. If certain criteria are met, MASC may offer to finalize your claim using the Final Declaration Claim process. Once a Final Declaration Claim is finalized, it can only be revised for grade and/or dockage, committing you to the quantity of grain declared on your HPR.

What are the normal adjusting procedures when completing a post harvest claim?

The adjustor should:

  • Identify all harvested production, including stored, sold, and fed production, as well as any production used for seed;
  • Inspect all acres, measure acres if randomly selected or if the adjustor has concerns or is uncertain that the declared acres are correct;
  • Diagram and identify the yard and bin locations;
  • Measure and inspect all bins (includes climbing the bins and examining the production contained inside); and
  • Obtain representative samples of all stored production involved in the post harvest claims.

Why did the adjustor calculate my bushels of production after the bins were measured?

The adjustor should calculate the approximate number of gross bushels using standard test weights and no dockage. This calculation is only an estimate and is used for discussion with you. If the estimate does not seem to be accurate, a second measurement may be required.

If I provided my own samples, why did the adjustor probe the bins?

If an MASC adjustor comes to your farm to do a claim, he/she uses the samples which you provide on a bin-by-bin basis. Additional samples may be drawn whenever there is a significant grade discrepancy between the samples drawn by the adjustor and the samples you provided.

Samples drawn by the MASC adjustor are used to determine moisture if you think the grain is tough or damp.

What if I did not take samples when the trucks were being unloaded?

In order for MASC to obtain a representative sample, the adjustor probes the bin. If possible, the bin should be probed from the top and bottom of the bin in order to get the most representative sample possible.

Who grades my grain and are the graders qualified?

MASC contracts its grading to SGS. The grading of the samples are done by professional accreddited graders at their facility located in Winnipeg.

How and when will I see the grade results?

Grade results are indicated on the Calculation of Indemnity that you receive with the claim settlement in approximately four weeks.

How is the grade factor calculated? How does grade impact a post harvest claim?

MASC conducts market price surveys across Manitoba in the fall of each year specifically for calculating grade factors. A grade factor is determined by dividing the average fall price for a specific grade by the average fall price of the guaranteed grade.

All grades below the guaranteed grade for each crop are assigned a grade factor. The grade factor represents the value of the harvested production relative to the guaranteed grade. The production for that grade is then multiplied by the grade factor. The result is a decreased amount of production counted for claim calculation purposes to compensate for the lower grade.

Foreign material is treated as dockage. Volunteer grain up to per cent is also treated as dockage. Any amount of volunteer grain over per cent is assigned a market value and is considered part of your production. Excessive volunteer grain is considered a controllable factor and not an insurable cause of loss. Wheat and/or barley with high vomitoxin levels (over parts per million) may qualify for a lower grade. You should submit documentation (sales receipts/test results) to MASC indicating high vomitoxin levels.

What happens if the grain is sold without a grade indicated or the price does not correspond to the grade?

A grade will be assigned based on the price you receive compared to the market price for the guaranteed grade.

What can I do if I am not satisfied with the grade assigned to my production in storage?

You should first request a re-grade of the sample to ensure that an error was not made. If you are still not satisfied, you have the option of: selling the crop (MASC will determine the grade from the sales tickets), or requesting a re-sample.

For a re-sample, an adjustor will probe all bins and the samples will be graded by the Canadian Grain Commission. You are responsible for the cost associated with the re-sampling process. For re-grading and re-sampling, all bins must be checked.

How will my Individual Productivity Index (IPI) and premium discount/surcharge be affected by a claim?

Having a claim does not affect IPI. Your yield relative to the area average yield is used to determine IPI. In most cases a claim will either reduce a discount or increase the level of the surcharge.

What if my stored grain is not measurable?

The adjustor will estimate the amount of grain and obtain a sample to allow for an interim payment to be made. The claim cannot be finalized until the production is either sold or put into a measurable position. You must contact MASC when this occurs. For claims that are finalized once the production is sold, the grade will be based on the grade from the original sample. All grain must be sold or be put in a measurable position prior to harvesting the following year's crop.

When can I expect payment for my claim?

Normally, payment is made within four weeks from the time the claim is completed by the adjustor and signed by you. If you do not want to receive a payment before a specific date (deferred payment) for tax purposes, you should inform the adjustor when completing the claim. The deferral date cannot be more than one year from the adjustment date. Cheques cannot be returned to MASC.

What are customer service follow-ups?

To ensure that you are satisfied with the work of our adjustors, MASC may send another adjustor to your farm to check the original adjustor’s work. The second adjustor asks questions about the way the claim was completed. We appreciate your assistance when we do a customer service follow-up. Your concerns and opinions help us to do a better job.

What can I do if I do not agree with an appraisal?

If you do not agree with the appraisal, you should not sign the claim. A second adjustor will then be assigned to appraise the loss. If an agreement is still not reached, you can appeal the appraisal. The appeal papers, which will be provided to you, must be signed by you and received by the Appeal Tribunal within seven days of the date shown on the "Appeal Tribunal" form. You must include a deposit of $50 toward the cost of the appeal (refunded if your appeal is successful).

Standards for Adjustors

Certain procedures must be followed when the adjustor is completing a claim. Please contact MASC if you answer no to any of these questions:

  • Were the fields in question inspected thoroughly? Were all your bins inspected?
  • Was the information recorded before you signed the claim? Did the adjustor display good conduct and attitude?

All MASC adjustors carry a photo identification card. If you have concerns, ask the adjustor to present it.


Canadian Agricultural Partnership Manitoba Canada