- This program insures a producer’s honey bees against unmanageable abnormal wintering losses, including weather-related losses, diseases, and pests.
- A producer is eligible for this program if they reside and operate an apiary in Manitoba and are registered as a beekeeper under The Bee Act (Manitoba).
- A producer must have a minimum of 50 colonies accepted for Overwinter Bee Mortality Insurance.
- Strong colonies (placed in either indoor or outdoor storage) and nuclear colonies stored indoors are eligible for coverage.
- August 31 is the last day to apply for (or cancel coverage for) this program.
- This program covers losses of strong (7 or more frames of brood or bees when placed in winter storage) and nuclear colonies (minimum of 4 frames of brood or bees when placed in winter storage) that have suffered insurable winter losses due to weather, diseases and / or pests where there is no means of adequate control.
- Beekeepers may select a low ($ per colony) or high ($ per colony) overwinter colony dollar value for coverage.
- A new program participant for receives the Manitoba historic survival rate of per cent. Producers enrolled for two or more years will receive a survival rate based on their experience.
- Coverage is based on per cent of the number of overwinter colonies multiplied by the survival rate.
A new beekeeper insures colonies for overwinter loss at the high dollar value ($ per colony).
Coverage = colonies x per cent survival rate x per cent coverage
= colonies (rounded)
Colonies x $ per colony = $