- Forage Insurance is a suite of programs designed to meet the needs of forage producers in Manitoba.
- Producers can choose Select Hay Insurance, which insures against quality and production shortfalls individually for five types of hay (with no offsetting between types), or Basic Hay Insurance that provides whole-farm forage insurance on all five hay types at a lower cost (with offsetting between types).
- Forage stands of less than or equal to four years old and stands older than four years have the same premium, but have differing probable yields.
- Participants in either Select Hay Insurance or Basic Hay Insurance automatically receive the Forage Restoration Benefit, which compensates for damaged tame forage acres due to excess moisture, and the Hay Disaster Benefit, which provides additional compensation during severe province-wide shortfalls.
- Additional selections are also offered as options, including the Harvest Flood Option, Pasture Insurance, and the Enhanced Quality Option.
- Forage Establishment Insurance is also available to provide assistance if an eligible forage crop fails to establish.
- Annual crops designated as greenfeed do not qualify for forage insurance, however they are insurable under AgriInsurance.
Select Hay Insurance
Select Hay Insurance provides insurance coverage for producers who experience a production shortfall or quality loss due to designated perils.
- Select Hay Insurance provides production and quality guarantees on five types of hay - alfalfa, alfalfa grass mixtures, tame grasses, clover, and coarse hay, with no offsetting between hay types for coverage and claim calculations.
- Producers can select coverage levels of or per cent of probable yield for each individual crop.
- Producers insuring alfalfa under Select Hay Insurance can also insure for a higher Relative Feed Value (RFV) by enrolling in the Enhanced Quality Option.